We often have to deal with changes, trasformation and adversities both in our daily life and in our career. That is why the concept of resilience – broadly defined as the ability to recover from setbacks, adapt to change, and keep going despite adversities – offers significant suggestions with regard to our behaviour. The importance of being resilient is clearly highlighted in this article which examines some elements essential to resilience.
Here are some significant tips to follow:
- be always able to cope with change, stress and adversity;
- consider both setbacks and successes as positive learning experiences;
- view difficulties and challenges as opportunities to grow and evolve;
- be able to adapt – and partially adjust – yourself but be ready, at the same time, to return to your original status;
- be able to absorb energy when “elastically deformed” and later release and use that energy;
- be able to absorb or avoid damage, without suffering complete failure;
- be able to provide and maintain an acceptable level of service in the face of problems and challenges to normal operation.
Image source: Flickr – Askew View Photo (CC-BY-ND 2.0)