The executive leadership coach, Lolly Daskal, lists a few tips to follow in order to improve your leadership skills.
No courses or teaching sessions can make you an exceptional leader. The key element to become an amazing chief is to get out of the office and follow some simple advices:
1.Smile to connect with people and make them feel part of a great project.
2.Becoming the best leader possible is not only about talking, but also about listening, asking the right questions and answering earnestly.
3.Make sure your team constantly exchange information.
4.Always give and ask for feedbacks.
5.Make people understand that you care: leaders are remembered for how they make people feel.
If you want to read more, see the full article
Image source: Flickr – astrangelylsolatedplace (CC BY 2.0)
It is very important to take in mind that in order to be successful and taking charge of your career is not sufficient studying and finishing school.
A real “leader” is always sure of himself and goes on and faces adversities even if is not simple and there are many obstacles, which apparently seem impossible to overcome.
Here are some suggestions from the article 12 lessons you learn or regret forever:
- Have confidence in yourself. Confidence comes first!But remember: Successful people often exude confidence, but it isn’t their success that makes them confident. The confidence was there first.
- Success in life depends on you. No one can force you to make decisions and take actions that run contrary to your values and aspirations. Do not believe in destiny. You create your destiny.
- Being busy does not equal being productive
It not necessary to work many hours. What counts, is the quality of what you produce. Do no forget it!
- You’reonly as good as those you associate with
- Don’t say yes unless you really want to
- Squash your negative self-talk
- Avoid asking “what if?”
Do not think too much about what could have happened if…
- Schedule exercise and sleep
It is fundamental to plan and organize you job. Do not come at the last moment!
- Seek out small victories
- Don’t seek perfection
- Focus on solutions
- Forgive yourself
Jacob Shriar on the Blog business2community highlights the 10 main challenges you will face when you are assigned to a managerial position.
It can be tough to adjust to this new role and potentially new environment, the first piece of advice is to understand that it’s normal to be nervous.
Here are 10 challenges that you will face to motivate the employees under you:
- Failure to Set Clear Goals and Expectations.
- Poor Time Management.
- Unclear or Inconsistent Communication.
- Pressure To Perform.
- Shifting From Coworker To Boss.
- Solving Other People’s Problems.
- Getting The Team To Be Productive.
- Not Asking For Help.
The key is to change your mindset and get into a new way of approaching work.
Read the entire article here
Image source: Pixabay (CC0)
Everyone has taken part to some meetings that proved to be a waste of precious time and energies.
In order to avoid attending pointless meetings that will lead to nowhere, it is important to be capable of identifying such events in advance.
Here are five questions by Paul Newton that “one should always ask himself before attending a meeting”:
1. What is its aim?
2. Does it have a timed agenda?
3. Are the communications clear?
4. Will it be well managed?
5. Is the chair effective?
Read the full article: http://bit.ly/1LZUNwS
Image source: Pixabay (CC0)
In the article “8 Ways Leaders Can Motivate Employees Beyond Money”, the author affirms that non-financial motivators may be more effective in the long term than financial incentives.
Based on a McKinsey survey, the author then provides the following 8 principles, which can be very useful when money is in short supply or when a financial incentive is not available:
- Energize your team
- There’s more to life than work
- Put your people first
- Act with integrity
- Be a great communicator
- Be a great listener
- Be a problem solver
- Lead through experience and competence, not through title or position
1. “I have total confidence in you.”
2. “This is what I want us to accomplish…”
3. “What can we do better next time?”
4. “I want to play to your strengths.”
5. “What is your opinion?”
6. “How can I better support you?”
7. “Let me know if you have any questions.”
8. “Good work.”
It is a useful list that can be handy in many occasions…
Image source: Pixabay (CC0)
During the last decade, Professor Joseph S. Nye introduced and developed the concept of Smart Power as a combination of coercive and soft power to achieve goals in international relations, arguing that neither soft nor hard power alone could produce effective foreign policy.
A few years later, under the Obama administration, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton popularized smart power and defined it as choosing the right combination of tools – diplomatic, economic, political, legal, and cultural – for a particular situation.
In this article, Younes El Ghazi advocates for the concept of Smart Diplomacy as the practice of smart power beyond traditional diplomacy, identifying as well the three critical pillars that could grant effectiveness to this new paradigm: Digital Capabilities, Multi-Stakeholder Diplomacy and Feminist Diplomacy.
Image source: Pixabay – geralt (Public domain)
Fruitful skills at work can sometimes be hard to learn and practice.
Here’s some tips to boost your work every day.
1.Time Management: planning is the first step and needs discipline. To do list and scheduling will help you to focus.
2. Empathy: do you feel what people feel? That’s the key to foster the team spirit in your office.
3. Better sleep helps, as many medical studies confirm.
4. Positive self talk: it doesn’t matter what others think of you, but what you think of yourself certainly does. Are you confident enough with yourself?
5. Be consistent. To mantain a top position you have to work harder.
6. Ask for help: when you ask people for advice, you validate their intelligence or expertise, which makes you more likely to win them over.
7. Shut up, if needed, but also listen
8. Mind your business: it will take time, but will surely help the atmospher at work.
9. And finally master your thoughts, directing them to what you want to do and accomplish.
Read the full article: the 9 tips